Formaldehyde is largely used in the wood and furniture sector especially for the formulation of the adhesives used in the production of wood based panels.
Being a particularly dangerous substance, also considering its carcinogenic classification, formaldehyde has been limited at various levels both in its use and in terms of emission from various materials.
At CATAS there is a specific section dedicated to this subject where we carry out analysis according to European methods (EN ISO 12460-5 perforator, EN ISO 12460-3 gas analysis, EN 717-1 chamber method), Japanese (JIS a 1460 desiccator) and American (ASTM D 6007 small chamber).
In this section we also carry out the technical activity dedicated to the product certification procedures specified in the following list:
- CARB P2 for which we are recognized by the Californian government body as third-party inspection and testing laboratory for the mandatory certification of wood based panels imported in this American State. CARB certification is also requested by IKEA for all wood based panels used for the furniture production of this multinational company;
- TSCA Title VI for which we are recognized by EPA (the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) as third-party inspection and testing laboratory for the mandatory certification of wood based panels imported in the USA, except for California where the CARB certification remains in force. Also TSCA Title VI certification is requested by IKEA for all wood based panels used for the furniture production of this multinational company;
- CATAS QUALITY AWARD is the voluntary certification granted by our institute to the productions complying with the E1 (Europe) or the 4-stars (Japan) limits.
In the context of the activities of this section we also offer intercalibration services to check the reliability of the internal control of the producers.
The products we can test
- Solid Wood panels
Our technicians of the formaldehyde section take part to the following standardization commissions:
- European Standardization Commission CEN TC 112 Wood Based Panels, WG 5 Formaldehyde.
- International Standardization Commission ISO TC 89 Wood Based Panels, WG 5 Formaldehyde.
- The European TPC Group (CETPC) for the coordination of common inspection procedure and intercalibration activities.
Our lab technicians are available to further explanations or requests about tests on different types of products.