This section is specialized in wood analysis both for the identification of the various wood species and for the assessment of their natural durability. Such activities are carried out with a high level of competence and by anatomic comparisons based on sophisticated microscopic techniques.The products we can test:
Our biologist are able to study the effectiveness of preservative treatments against blue stain and root fungi. We are also able to analyse the possible bio deterioration of wood based products.
Moreover, in this section we assess the efficacy of anti-bacterial coatings and we evaluate the sanitizing treatments carried out on different types of surfaces like, for example, the household appliances (coffee machines, dishwashers, etc.).
- Wood (natural durability, identification of the wood species)
- Wood preservatives
- Wood based panels (biological durability)
- Polymeric materials (anti-microbial properties)
- Non wowen fabric (biological durability)
- Coating materials (biological durability)
Our technicians of the wood biology section section take part to the UNI Commisssione Tecnica Legno, GL 2 “Trattamenti del Legno” and to the “CEN TC 38 Durability of wood and wood based products” commission divided into its following Working Groups:
- WG 21 Durability – Classification (Use classes – natural durability)
- WG 22 Performance – Assessment and specifications (treated wood – Wood preservatives)
- WG 23 Fungal testing (basidiomycetes - microfungi)
- WG 25 External Factors and Preconditioning
- WG 28 Performance classification
Our lab technicians are available to further explanations or requests about tests on different types of products.